11 January 1836 George Sigerson was born in Holy Hill, Strabane, Co Tyrone. He was educated in many establishments including Letterkenny, France, Galway, Cork and Dublin and graduated as a Doctor of Medicine in 1859 at Queen's College, Belfast. He specialised in neurology and was appointed Professor of Botany and Biology in the Catholic University School of medicine and later in the National University of Ireland.
As a student he taught himself Irish, for which he won a prize. He was an acomplished poet and wrote for the political paper The Nation. He was nominated for a brief spell as Chairman of the First Senate of the Irish Free State.
His lasting contribution to national life was the establishment of the Sigerson Cup in 1911, he donated his salary from UCD to purchase the same. The cup was initially for competition between the three universities, UCC, UCC and UCG, with QUB joining in 1923; TCD in 1963 and other universities such as UU and other institutions of higher education. It is the longest serving trophy in the GAA.